More United is looking to appoint a Board Treasurer who can help guide and advance our strategy and vision.
About More United
More United is a new movement setting out to transform our politics. We use crowdfunding to support candidates and MPs who stand by our progressive values, regardless of what party they are from.
Launched over the summer 2016, More United has grown from nothing to having 70,000 supporters and raising £275,000 in our first crowdfund. We are now in the next phase of the movement. Our ambition is to grow into one of the most significant forces in British politics, using the power of millions to influence politics from a party-blind position. Appointing an exceptional Board Treasurer is critical to delivering that.
As well as a political movement, More United is an agile start up, growing rapidly and constantly creating new ideas. We are committed to equality and welcome applications from a diverse range of backgrounds.
Responsibilities of the Treasurer
- Providing leadership and strategic thinking in relation to finance, fundraising and strategy
- Overseeing the operation of the finance and fundraising functions of More United in support of the line responsibility of the CEO and accountant
- Advising the Chair and the Board on key aspects of short and long-term financial health and the effectiveness of use of assets
- Advising the Board on its financial duties and responsibilities
- Working with the CEO and accountant to oversee the relationship with the external Auditors
- Being the interface between Board members and More United’s financial functions, interpreting audits, resourcing plans, and budgets as required by Board members
- Providing oversight of More United’s income, resource allocation, expenditure and investment
- Making a formal presentation of the annual accounts to the Board
- Playing a key ambassadorial role to ensure Finance and Fundraising remain at the heart of More United’s mission
- Working with Board colleagues to ensure the overall strategic development of the organisation, by agreeing organisational policies, budgets and objectives, and to ensure targets are set and performance is measured
- A qualified accountant background, or equivalent high-level professional accreditation in finance or accounting
- The ability to quickly grasp the complexity and culture of a fast-growing start-up deploying the latest technologies used in building social movements and informing electoral outcomes
- Excellent written and verbal communication, skills in chairing meetings, deductive reasoning, problem solving and data analysis; as well as translating financial information to broad audiences
- Judgement, persuasiveness and empathy
- A commitment to More United’s mission, goals and objectives
- Understanding of the dynamics and operations of British politics
- Understanding of and passion for social-movement creation / community building
- Start-up / entrepreneurial experience
- Experience as a Board member of a non-profit organisation
Time Commitment and Location
The time commitment required of the role is in the region of up to one day per month which includes up to one Board meeting and one meeting or call with bookkeeping staff. Meetings can be attended via conference calling. The successful candidate must also be available to effectively respond to organisational related correspondence throughout the year.
More United’s board is as follows: Maurice Biriotti (chair), Paddy Ashdown, Austin Rathe and Corinne Sawers and Dan Snow and we have a staff of four, including CEO and Fundraising Director. The convenors who came together to help launch the organisation include Josh Babarinde, Jeremy Bliss, Clare Gerada, Sunny Hundal, Anne-Marie Imafidon, Martha Lane-Fox, Gia Milinovich, Maajid Nawaz, Jonathon Porritt, Luke Pritchard, Simon Schama, Janet Smith, and Rumi Verjee.
Please click the button below to submit a CV and cover letter.